Shower standing handles are devices that are used to provide additional support and stability for people while they are standing in the shower. They are typically attached to the wall of the shower and provide a sturdy handle for people to hold onto while they are washing themselves or moving around in the shower.
Shower standing handles can be particularly useful for people who have balance or mobility issues, as they can help to prevent slips, falls, and other accidents in the shower. They can also be helpful for people who are recovering from an injury or surgery and need additional support while they are showering.
When choosing a shower standing handle, it is important to look for a product that is sturdy, easy to install, and designed to hold the weight of the person using it. It is also important to ensure that the handle is placed at a height that is comfortable and easy to reach for the user.
Overall, shower standing handles can be a valuable tool for improving safety and accessibility in the bathroom, and can help to make showering a more comfortable and stress-free experience for many people.
Table Of Contents
How Shower Standing Handles Helps
Shower standing handles can help in several ways:
- Improved stability and balance: For people with balance or mobility issues, standing in the shower can be challenging and potentially dangerous. Shower standing handles provide a sturdy and stable surface for people to hold onto, which can help to improve their balance and reduce the risk of falls.
- Increased independence: With the help of shower standing handles. People who may have previously needed assistance in the shower can gain greater independence. The handles provide a secure and reliable grip, allowing people to move around and wash themselves with greater ease.
- Enhanced safety: Falls in the shower can be particularly dangerous, especially for older adults or people with health conditions that impact their balance or mobility. Shower standing handles can help to reduce the risk of falls and other accidents, providing added safety and peace of mind.
- More comfortable showering experience: With the added stability and support of shower standing handles, people can enjoy a more comfortable and relaxing showering experience. They may also be able to take longer showers or spend more time washing themselves without feeling fatigued or uncomfortable.
Overall, shower standing handles can be a valuable addition to any bathroom, providing enhanced safety and comfort for people with a range of needs and abilities.
How To Install Shower Standing Handles
Installing shower standing handles is generally a straightforward process. Here are the general steps for installing shower standing handles:
- Determine the location: Choose the location where you want to install the handles. It is usually best to place the handles at a height where they are easily reachable for the user while standing in the shower. Make sure to avoid installing the handles on grout lines and choose a location with solid backing material behind the tile.
- Gather necessary tools: You will need a drill, screws, a screwdriver, a level, and a measuring tape.
- Mark the spot: Use a measuring tape to mark the location where you want to install the handles. Use a level to ensure that the location is straight.
- Drill holes: Use a drill to make the necessary holes in the wall. Make sure to use the correct size drill bit for the screws that came with the handles.
- Insert screws: Insert the screws that came with the handles into the holes you drilled in the wall.
- Attach handles: Slide the handles onto the screws and tighten them with a screwdriver. Make sure the handles are securely attached and don’t wobble.
- Test handles: Test the handles to make sure they are secure and can support the user’s weight.
It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and safety guidelines when installing shower standing handles. If you are not comfortable installing them yourself, it’s a good idea to seek the help of a professional installer.
Shower Standing Handles Types
There are several types of shower standing handles available on the market, each with its own unique features and benefits. Here are some of the most common types of shower standing handles:
- Suction cup handles: These handles are easy to install without drilling holes. As they use suction cups to attach to the shower wall. Suction cup handles are portable and can be easily moved or repositioned. But they may not be as sturdy as other types of handles.
- Fixed handles: Fixed handles are permanently attached to the wall using screws and anchors. They are usually sturdier than suction cup handles and can support more weight.
- Corner handles: Corner handles are designed to be installed in the corner of the shower, where they can provide support from two different directions. These handles are often a good option for smaller showers where space is limited.
- Folding handles: Folding handles can be easily folded down when not in use, allowing for more space in the shower. They are often a good option for showers that are shared by people with varying mobility needs.
- Textured handles: Some handles have textured surfaces that provide a more secure grip, even when wet. Textured handles can be particularly helpful for people with hand or wrist weakness.
When choosing shower standing handles. It is important to consider the user’s specific needs and preferences. As well as the design and layout of the shower. It’s a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional or an occupational therapist to determine the best type of shower standing handles for the user’s specific situation.
How To Chose Shower Standing Handles
Choosing the right shower standing handles involves considering several important factors. Here are some things to consider when choosing shower standing handles:
- Weight capacity: Make sure the handles you choose can support the user’s weight. Check the weight capacity of the handles and compare it to the user’s weight to ensure they are a good match.
- Grip: Consider the grip of the handles. Handles with textured or non-slip surfaces can provide a more secure grip, especially when wet.
- Installation: Determine the installation method for the handles. Suction cup handles are easy to install without drilling holes, but they may not be as sturdy as fixed handles.
- Placement: Decide where you want to install the handles. Consider the height and location of the handles to ensure they are easily reachable for the user while standing in the shower.
- Style: Choose a style of handle that fits the user’s preferences and bathroom decor. Handles come in a variety of styles and colors to match different design schemes.
- Brand and quality: Look for a reputable brand that produces high-quality products. Check reviews and ratings of the handles before purchasing to ensure they have a good track record of reliability and durability.
- User needs: Consider the user’s specific needs and preferences. Consult with a healthcare professional or occupational therapist to determine the best type of handles for the user’s unique situation.
Overall, choosing the right shower standing handles involves considering the user’s needs and preferences. As well as the specific features and design of the handles. With careful consideration, you can choose the best handles for your needs and enjoy a safer and more comfortable showering experience.
Pros And Cons Of Shower Standing Handles
Shower standing handles can provide a number of benefits, but there are also some drawbacks to consider. Here are some of the pros and cons of shower standing handles:
- Increased safety: Shower standing handles can provide stability and support, reducing the risk of slips and falls in the shower.
- Improved accessibility: Handles can make it easier for people with limited mobility or balance issues to enter and exit the shower, as well as to move around inside the shower.
- Versatility: Handles come in a variety of styles and sizes, making it easy to find an option that fits the user’s specific needs.
- Affordable: Many types of shower standing handles are relatively inexpensive, making them an affordable option for people on a budget.
- Easy to install: Most handles are easy to install, and many do not require any special tools or equipment.
- Damage to shower wall: Fixed handles require drilling into the shower wall, which can damage the tile or other materials.
- Limited portability: Fixed handles are not portable and cannot be easily moved or repositioned.
- Requires maintenance: Handles can accumulate dirt and grime over time, requiring regular cleaning to maintain their effectiveness.
- Aesthetic concerns: Some people may find that shower standing handles detract from the aesthetic appeal of the bathroom.
- Limited weight capacity: Some handles may not be able to support the weight of heavier individuals.
Overall, shower standing handles can be a helpful addition to the bathroom, providing increased safety and accessibility. However, it is important to carefully consider the specific features and drawbacks of different types of handles to ensure they are the right fit for the user’s needs.
In conclusion, shower standing handles can be a useful tool to increase safety and accessibility in the bathroom. They can provide stability and support for people with limited mobility or balance issues. Reducing the risk of slips and falls in the shower. Different types of handles are available to fit a variety of needs. And many are relatively affordable and easy to install.
However, there are also some drawbacks to consider, such as potential damage to the shower wall, limited portability. And the need for regular maintenance. It is important to carefully consider the specific features and drawbacks of different types of shower standing handles to ensure they are the right fit for the user’s needs and preferences.
Overall, shower standing handles can be a helpful addition to the bathroom for many people. And can provide increased safety and comfort while showering. Consult with a healthcare professional or occupational therapist to determine the best type of shower standing handles for your unique situation.