While not having the chance to breastfeed, mothers usually stick to the idea of using baby formula as it’s the best alternative to breast milk. Nowadays, there are lots of baby formula brands on the market and it can be challenging to find the suitable one for a little one on the first try. Parents should consider many factors while choosing the formulas and consult a doctor as well. But, of course, it’s necessary to do research on your own and look for some basic information on this topic on the Internet. While comparing infant formulas, you need to take into account some characteristics about brand, country of origin, special features, functions and price. But the most important thing is to find that one, that will make your baby thrive.
Table Of Contents
Why European baby formulas?
European baby formulas are quite popular among the families all over the world as they are valued for their high quality and nutrition. These formulas are considered to be fully organic which ensures you that your loved one will not take any chemicals like antibiotics, preservatives, GMOs, pesticides and other adverse elements. Moreover, they have quite similar content to breast milk that helps the baby to develop timely and grow strong.
And you’ve definitely heard about HiPP and Holle baby formulas that are two of the oldest formula manufacturers in Europe and that constantly receive positive reviews from customers. So let’s take a close look at these brands, their differences, advantages and options.
What are the main differences between HiPP and Holle baby formulas?
- Sweeteners in formulas play an important role and most parents pay attention to their existence in baby formula. Hipp uses lactose as a sweetener ingredient. Holle instead uses maltodextrin as a complement, which is derived from plant-based starches. They use this ingredient to make the formula thicker and more filling.
- Hipp offers a variety of different baby foods specialized for different stages that can be a great supplement to breast milk or solids and deal with some health issues such as reflux, allergy and others. Holle in comparison has only a cow and goat based formula.
- If you are a resident of the USA it will be possible for you to get the HiPP formula as it is permitted for sale in this country. The situation with Holle is more complicated and you can only buy it online.
Let’s dive deeper in each brand.
HiPP’s pros and cons
- this brand is famous for being easy to digest which is so important for infants whose tummies are extremely sensitive;
- It’s a great alternative to breast milk as well as additional feeding option;
- It has the only sweetener – lactose, which is natural;
- It includes the wide range of important vitamins and healthy ingredients such as Omega-3 fatty acid, probiotics and prebiotics that strengthen the immune system
- It’s 100% organic and natural, that’s why it’s so close to breast milk and beneficial to babies;
- It’s completely soy-free;
- it has a wide range of options for different child’s needs;
- Suitable for babies from birth onwards;
- Available to buy in the USA.
- price tag can be slightly high in comparison with other conventional formulas;
- Includes palm oil that is controversial nowadays and many families try to avoid it;
- There is no HiPP goat’s milk protein variety, so it’s only available as a cow milk formula.
Holle pros and cons
- only biodynamic elements which means that Holle offers a more holistic approach to harvesting ingredients, so they are more pure;
- It’s has quite similar taste to breastmilk so kids find it easier to switch from breastfeeding to formula feeding;
- There are options for babies of different ages based on goat’s milk
- No added sugars
- The expiration date is usually much further into the future than other formulas’.
- as it isn’t available in all countries, you can face some difficulties with shipping or your order can be unexpectedly delayed;
- It doesn’t contain DHA, prebiotics and probiotics;
- Holle contains palm oil as well as HiPP, which can be unacceptable for some parents;
- It’s not suitable for lactose intolerance.
If you are quite interested in those two brands, take their content into consideration and choose the best one that will be perfect for your little one’s requirements. Remember to consult a pediatrician on this topic in order to not harm your baby.