Pizza Margherita is a type of pizza that originated in Naples, Italy. It is named after Queen Margherita of Savoy. Who visited Naples in 1889 and was served a pizza that had tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and basil on it. The pizza’s colors (red, white and green) were said to represent the colors of the Italian flag and Queen Margherita enjoyed the pizza so much that it became popular in Naples and eventually spread throughout Italy and the world.
The traditional ingredients of a Margherita pizza include a thin crust made from wheat flour, tomato sauce made from San Marzano tomatoes, mozzarella cheese made from buffalo milk and fresh basil. It is typically cooked in a wood-fired oven and served hot and crispy.
Pizza Margherita is often regarded as a symbol of Italian cuisine and is one of the most popular types of pizza worldwide. It is a simple yet delicious pizza that highlights the quality of its ingredients and it has become a classic dish that is enjoyed by people of all ages and backgrounds.
Table Of Contents
Pizza Margherita Ingredients
The traditional ingredients for a Pizza Margherita are:
- Pizza dough: It is made with wheat flour, water, yeast, salt and sometimes olive oil.
- Tomato sauce: made from San Marzano tomatoes which are grown in the Campania region of Italy. The tomatoes are crushed and mixed with salt and sometimes a little bit of sugar.
- Mozzarella cheese: made from buffalo milk. It has a soft and elastic texture and a mild flavor. It is often cut into thin slices or shredded and distributed evenly over the pizza.
- Fresh basil: added as a finishing touch. It gives the pizza a fresh and aromatic flavor.
Other variations of Pizza Margherita may include additional toppings such as garlic, olive oil, Parmesan cheese or cherry tomatoes but the classic version only includes these four basic ingredients.
How To make Pizza Margherita?
Here is a recipe for making a classic Pizza Margherita:
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1/2 cup San Marzano tomato sauce
- 8 ounces fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Flour, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (232°C). If using a pizza stone, place it in the oven to preheat.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with flour and roll out the pizza dough to your desired thickness and shape.
- Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the pizza dough, leaving about 1/2 inch of space around the edges.
- Slice the mozzarella cheese into thin pieces and distribute them evenly over the sauce.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the pizza, to taste.
- Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the pizza.
- Place the pizza in the preheated oven and bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Once the pizza is done remove it from the oven and sprinkle the fresh basil leaves over the top.
- Let the pizza cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Enjoy your delicious Pizza Margherita!
How Much Pizza Margherita Cost?
The cost of a Pizza Margherita can vary depending on several factorss such as the size of the pizza the restaurant or pizzeria where you order it and the location. Generally, a small to medium-sized Pizza Margherita can cost anywhere from $8 to $15. While a large pizza can cost between $12 and $20 or more. Prices can be higher in some areas or at more upscale restaurants. It’s always best to check with the specific restaurant you plan to order from to get an accurate price.
Is Pizza Margherita Healthy?
Pizza Margherita can be a relatively healthy option compared to other types of pizza. But it depends on the specific ingredients and how it’s prepared.
- Dough: Pizza dough is made from flour and can be high in carbohydrates. Whole wheat flour can be used instead of white flour to increase the fiber content and provide more nutrients.
- Tomato sauce: Tomatoes are a great source of lycopene an antioxidant that may help protect against some types of cancer. some store-bought tomato sauces can be high in added sugar and sodium. So it’s best to choose a sauce with no added sugar and low sodium.
- Cheese: Mozzarella cheese is a good source of protein and calcium. But it’s also high in saturated fat and calories. Using a reduced-fat mozzarella cheese or limiting the amount of cheese on the pizza can make it a healthier option.
- Basil: Basil is a herb that has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It adds flavor to the pizza without adding calories or sodium.
It can be a healthy lifestyle option if made with whole wheat flour, a low-sugar tomato sauce, limited cheese and fresh basil. It’s still important to enjoy it in moderation as it can be high in calories and sodium.
Pros And Cons
Pizza Margherita is a classic pizza that is loved by many. Here are some pros and cons of this pizza:
- Delicious Flavor: The combination of fresh mozzarella, tomato sauce and basil on a crispy crust is a crowd-pleaser.
- Nutritious: Pizza Margherita can be a relatively healthy option if made with fresh, high-quality ingredients such as whole grain flour and fresh tomatoes.
- Vegetarian-friendly: Pizza Margherita is a vegetarian pizza making it a great option for those who don’t eat meat.
- Simple and traditional: The simplicity of the Margherita pizza is one of its biggest strengths as it highlights the quality of the ingredients.
- Limited toppings: If you prefer lots of toppings on your pizza, then the Margherita pizza may not be for you as it typically only includes tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, and basil.
- Not vegan-friendly: Pizza Margherita contains dairy, making it unsuitable for vegans.
- Soggy crust: If the pizza is not properly baked or if it sits for too long, the crust can become soggy and lose its crispiness.
- Cost: As a popular pizza option, it can sometimes be more expensive than other types of pizza.
It is a delicious and classic pizza option that can be enjoyed by many as long as you are okay with its limited toppings and potential for a soggy crust.
Pizza Margherita is a classic Neapolitan pizza that is loved by many around the world. Its simplicity and fresh ingredients such as tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and fresh basil make it a delicious and satisfying dish. It is a popular choice for those who appreciate traditional Italian cuisine and is often considered a benchmark for judging the quality of pizza. While there are many variations of pizza, it remains a timeless classic that has stood the test of time.